Sunday, October 14, 2012

Crafts and Knee Injuries

Maybe it's the changing weather, maybe it's my realization that I watch way too much T.V. while looking at Buzzfeed articles, or maybe I've become really inspired, but this weekend I felt like doing some crafts. I'd seen a tutorial on how to make an acorn garland, and I thought it was so cute, and definitely something I could do. The full tutorial can be found here: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2010/10/tricks-treats-rachels-acorn-garland.html

While we were at Michael's buying the supplies for the garland, I decided I also wanted to make a felt fall wreath. This was something I wanted to do last year but never got around to, so I went crazy at Michael's and bought a ton of craft supplies and had a grand time yesterday afternoon just making stuff. 

You can see the acorn garland hanging above the door. You can also see Seth's painted pumpkin in the left bottom corner.

This is the felt wreath. I didn't space out the different colors well enough, so one section has too many pieces and is much larger than the others. I was a little bummed, but then Seth suggested that I put a bow over the spot. Brilliant! I'm really excited about how well both things went, and I will probably be looking for some other crafts to do in the coming weeks. 

After a lackadaisical morning watching Heathers, which I had never seen before - very good! - Seth and I headed to the park to play a little soccer. I only made it like 15 minutes before I totally destroyed my knee trying to kick the ball while it was in the air. It was such a simple thing to do, but I guess given my previous knee problems and how long it's been since I played (we've played one other time earlier this month, but other than that, it's been years), I was just unprepared to twist my knee that way. I can walk and I'm not in a ton of pain. Mostly I'm bummed that so little was able to take me down so quickly. I feel old and feeble, and I don't like it one bit. Now I'm resting on the couch with an ice pack, about to read The Marriage Plot, which so far I would highly recommend.

And finally, in totally unrelated news, I was a guest on Lost in the Stacks, a radio show about libraries  here at Georgia Tech, talking about Big Data and my job as a Research Data Librarian. You can hear it here for the next two weeks, or I have personal copies if anyone misses the two-week window and really wants to hear me talk about data. 

No comments:

Post a Comment